Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Being a Band Geek


So I started as a band geek in 7th grade (did it mainly to avoid having to do choir).
I played the clarinet then bass clarinet then baritone sax. Summer between 9th and 10th grade the new band teacher at high school asked me to learn the Tuba since we didn’t have one. So that summer I did.
So in high school I played the Bass clarinet in Orchestra, the Baritone Sax and Flute in Jazz band and symphonic band, the tuba or sousaphone in Marching band, the harmonica in pep band (goofed off a lot with the drummers).
So I learned a few things from being a band geek. (Some funny some not)
(I am not the one in the pic...I looked much cooler! Samr goofy uniform though)

10. You only have to count to 8 to do the fancy marching steps at half time
9. It is easier to carry a flute home to practice than a tuba.
8. I have learned to appreciate great music like Maynard Ferguson, Chicago, Buddy Rich
7. I go to a movie just to hear the soundtrack
6. Without a bass sound the rest of the music gets lost.
5. Without music the world would be boring.
4. If the team loses it’s the bands fault.
3. Even the group KISS used a bass clarinet. (listen to Beth)
2. Football games would be boring without the band.
1. No matter how manly you look girls still dig the drum line, not the tuba player.

Bottom line…I am grateful for what band taught me.

No comments: