Sunday, April 20, 2008

Safe at home

Ok so I have returned safely from my trip to Juarez Mexico. Before I went down we were told that the military and the police were having a strong presence and in basically a war with the local drug cartels. We were given instructions on how to behave if we were stopped by the police, a military patrol, Drug cartel or caught in a riot. We flew down to El Paso on Tuesday without problems. Wed we went across the border to the plant or office and came back that afternoon. We had no problems and did not see any patrols. At the hotel we were talking to some of the IT guys who were down there and installing a server who told us they had been pulled over to get out of the way of a military patrol. Jeeps and machine guns and uniforms. That night as I was watching the news I saw a story on them cleaning up a shooting in Juarez. I looked and then noticed that it was a intersection that we go through on our way to the plant.
Thurs we went over and back without issue. Friday I flew home without any big problems. As I walked back to my seat a really big guy just glared at me. He was in the sit next to mine and half into mine as well. I pointed to my seat and then a very clean cut guy with a loose fitting untucked shirt that was siting across the isle said that my seat had been moved up front. I said thank you and went to my new seat. Several times on the flight from El Paso I have been on the same plane as prisoners and sky marshells or police. They are pretty easy to spot now and this was no different.
Well needless to say I am grateful to be home.

No comments: