Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy 4th everyone

What The Flag Means To Me(written 9-12-01)

The red is the blood of too many people who have given their lives
to provide us the right to fly, or burn it.
It is also the blood of the many innocent lives lost,
simply because they were Americans.
The white is the hopes and dreams
of the families of those who have died,
that their sacrifice was not in vain and meant something.
The blue is the promise of each new generation,
that they will leave the world a better place than their parents did.
It also is the many tears shed among all classes of people,
hoping for this better life.
The stars represent the heavenly guidance
our leaders receive from above,
starting with our founding fathers down
to the present day administration.
(this is given even if they don't deserve it themselves)
What does the flag mean to me?
It's hard to put into words,
but as I stand with hand
over heart and sing
the last words of, "...and the home of the brave."
a tear comes to my eye, and my heart beats a little stronger.
This flag is my heritage
from my father and his father,
and what I leave to my children.
Long may it wave

No comments: