Friday, May 20, 2011

Just a Little unplugged

I think of myself as a sort of gadget geek. I love to see the latest and greatest gadget/toy out there. If I really want something and can justify it I usually get it. (Thanks to a very wonderful and understanding wife)


About 8 weeks ago I decided to take a long look at my being plugged in. I had to start to pack two phones, one for work and one personal which is what started this thinking.

Since I am packing 2 phones once I get home I take my work phone off and set it in my basket. I used to check it every 15 minutes to see if I had any new emails etc. (Even on the weekends) I don’t do that anymore. Often I will look at it right before bed and then when I get up to see if there is anything I have to handle.

I also have started to go back to the old Day Planner method. While I love the access of a calendar and such on my phone or itouch, I kept feeling like I am missing things. To do lists did not work well for me in that format.

I still love my music, and love reading on my ebook reader but have found that nothing replaces the feel and smell of a great book.

I have tried to use my iTouch with scriptures on Sunday but found that I miss all my notes, markings that I spent hours upon hours, little by little putting into my paper set. (I must admit I do use my reader with the Priesthood manual)

I also have found myself watching less and less TV or listening to the radio in the car even. I love books on my iPod plain and simple.

While I am grateful for all the gadgets and lust after a new iPad2, I am truly grateful for the joy of unplugging a little bit and being able to view life in silence.

No comments: