Thursday, November 23, 2017

Modern Tech

I was on a conference call the other morning and the thought struck me of how far we have come.
Here I was sitting in my car driving into work wearing a headset that did not have wires, that was connected to a phone that was sitting in my pocket.
On the call were co workers located in Utah, India, and several spots across the country.
Later that morning I knew I had a call between people in Utah, Canada, Mexico and India scheduled.
When I awoke that morning I had rolled over in bed and glanced at my phone to see the latest email and what problems my day may hold.

This is a long way from when I first started out in the work force in the mid 70's.
Back then I had to make sure I kept a roll of coins in my truck in case it broke down and I would have to walk to get to a pay phone.
Or that one time that I faked my truck breaking down in front of the house of a girl I had a crush on in High School who didn't know I was alive.
I thought I could go up to the door and ask to use her phone to call for help.
Was a great plan until it was her dad that answered the door and offered to come out and look to see what the problem was...he was a mechanic...oh to be 16 again and have an excuse to be dumb headed.

I remember when years later my work got me my first pager. It was the size of a deck of cards that clipped to my belt and allowed below to enter in a phone # I needed to call.
Later I was so excited when I upgraded to the newest type that was the size of a magic marker and held 10 numbers.

The first mobile phone I saw was one my boss bought that had a battery back up pack that was the size of a purse.
He thought he was so cool carrying it around...well a lot of people thought he was cool carrying it around.

I remember my first Smart type device.  A Palm Pilot that had 500mb storage on it. IT was so cool to think I had my calendar and could even carry a couple chapters of scripture with me always.

Now kids today have no idea what it means to have to walk to a pay phone only to discover you don't have changed you thought you did.
Or parents wondering where their kids are and if something has happened..I don't miss that part.

While I sometimes hate that I am always connected tot he office and never really away from work, I am glad that in the same sense I am always connected to my family where ever they are in the world and never far away from them no matter what they might be doing. For that I am grateful
 

No comments: