Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I am a Christian! (an open letter to Rev. Jeffress)

Dear Sir,

I understand from the news, that once again you have declared that Mormonism is a cult and that a Mormon is not a Christian.

I assume that when you say Mormon you mean members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and not the so called groups who claim Mormon as a name.

As I understand the “Born Again” thoughts on being a Christian it is basically

That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

I can only speak for myself and my relationship with my Lord:

Jesus is the only begotten of God the Father and as such is my elder Brother who loves me.

He came to this earth to establish His Church and to fulfill all righteousness.
He worked out the intricate details of the Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane and completed this work on Calvary.

He was buried in the tomb and on the third day rose from the dead and ascended to His Father, later to return to further teach His apostles and followers.

Because of this great atonement I can be forgiven of my sins, but not only that, I can lean on Him with the knowledge that He has descended below all things and overcome them. I have His strength to lean on when I must face my trials and His smile to share in my joys.

I took the name of Christ upon myself in the waters of baptism. I renew the effect of that baptism each week as I partake of the sacrament, signifying my willingness to take His name upon me and promising always to remember Him.

He is the source of all my joy in my life. I am forever in His debt for the blessings He has given to me.

He loves us all and is no respecter of person. He dealt directly with His apostles and followers as He established His Church and continues to lead His Church here on earth today.

He is my advocate with the Father and cares about my needs and troubles as well as my joys.

He delights in the simple prayer of a small child the same as that of a politician.

You say we do not worship the same Jesus, well that might be true, I do not know the Jesus you revere but mine is a close and trusted friend, a brother that loved me enough to die for me thus enabling me and you, to have the gift of eternal life and to be able to be part of the resurrection.

I know that my redeemer lives and He is Jesus Christ, and for that I am truly grateful!

Thank you.

sb

3 comments:

Laurie Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randall said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.