Monday, March 14, 2011

A Cell Phone Did What?

Today was suppose to be a normal Sunday...it wasn't. I guess it started Friday night when I got  call at 7pm from a Bishop asking how to turn the sound on in the gym at one of the Church buildings. I told him, a few minutes later he called back saying that it worked for a split second then the power went out to the whole sound system. He was in a bit of a panic since they had a wedding dinner scheduled and needed the sound. I said sorry but was out to dinner with Nat and Boo. He said he would struggle trough the dinner part but really needed it the next day for the reception and the wedding itself. (We don't get those much). He also said By the way there is no hot water as well.
So when I got home I went up to the Church. After an hour checking all the fuses and everything else I could think of. Including running power from an outlet in the hallway. Nothing worked. I called the Regional expert who took care of it early Saturday morning...what a guy. Also got the hot water working. The mother of the groom or bride should be happy, Friday night she was a bit worried...
Well Saturday went without problems. Until I got home late.. I had a call on the machine from a neighbor asking if I could teach her Sunday School Class. (she found someone else) and a call from the Stake YW President wanting to talk about items needed for Sunday nights fireside for the youth. Since it was after 10 pm I did not call either one back.
So off to bed knowing that I would lose an hour sleep and when the alarm went off at 6 it would really be like it was 5 am
Went to High Council, the meeting had just started when Elder Hillman our mission prep teacher poked his head in and asked if there was a secret in getting the heat to work in that part of the building. I went down and found that someone had gotten into the main work closet where the furnace is and thrown the main power switch off.
Back to meeting then on to 9am Church. It was  a bit hot in that building so I turned down the heat and turned on the ceiling fans.
After the meeting I went up to the Stake House for my 11am meeting there. As I walked in I could smell smoke and thought "What the heck"
Then my cell phone rang, it was a member of the Stake Presidency telling me that in the 9am meeting there that a cell phone had basically blew up and caught on fire. It burned part of the bench as well as melted the carpet under the bench and spots under 3 other bench's where parts fell.
I taped up the burnt parts so they would not tear then taped a piece of cardboard onto the bench so someone would not sit in it and get their good clothes all sooty.
I then learned that the pulpit also had broke and would not raise any more. I went up and looked at it to find that the motor was working but it looked like the cog had slipped.
Sat through the 11 am meeting then looked more closely at it. I did have several "Engineers" offer to help but told them no I was afraid that if we got too deep in it then we would lose all sound.
The 1pm meeting was coming up fast and we knew that a member of the 12 would be visiting for a baby blessing of a great grandchild.
I caught up with the Stake President and told him the pupil broke and to just talk loud or stoop to be heard and to tell the visiting authority the same...he just smiled.
I then went to a 1pm Ward conference. Then went home to see that Cody had come out. At 4 I went up to help the YM and YW  presidents setup for their fireside. Got the projector and sound working for them then went to Ma's
While at Ma's I got a text from the other member of the Stake Presidency telling me that the sound at the first building, from Friday night, had gone out in the gym and also that people were saying that it was really hot in the building.

I am grateful that tomorrow (well I should say today since it is now almost 2am and I can't sleep) I have to only look forward to work

No comments: